LDN 9/10/14

So yesterday uni took us down to London for the day as there were a few things they wanted us to see at the V&A and at Dover Street Market. After an early start (5 a.m, I wanted to die) we then spent about four hours on a coach (again, kmn) before getting to the V&A. Now, don't get me wrong, the V&A is one of my all time favourite galleries/museums but I think it's one of those places that you can over kill and I've already been twice this year. Regardless of this however, The Wishlist exhibition (above) is part of the London Design festival and was interesting if a little small. My favourite piece was this desk designed by Terence Conran and built by Sebastian Cox that you can cocoon yourself in to get rid of all distractions. I definitely could do with one for doing my dissertation as I am such a procrastinator - I'm actually typing this out when I should be doing disso work right now.
We also went along to see the Disobedient Objects exhibition (both of these are free FYI) which detailed rebellion and disobedience from all across the globe, from the Guerrilla Girls to the above fake newspapers and Barbies with G.I. Joe's voice. If you're a little F*** the system at heart then this is your thing. It was really interesting and in some cases heart wrenching to see the struggles we usually wouldn't get a chance to.
We then hopped back on the coach, got stuck in more traffic (yawn) and headed over to Dover Street Market. If you haven't been here - go. It is so surreal to see Céline and Louis Vuitton in such a raw and urban space. The name doesn't exactly lend itself to you thinking 'premium clothing' however this is exactly what it is. So much so that we weren't all allowed to go in there at once. These are my two favourite details inside; a T-shirt vending machine and this gorgeous light fixture. I can't even really describe to you in words what it's like being in there, you're going to have to go and see for yourself.

Even though the day started nice and sunny it turned miserable sharpish and so we spent the afternoon traipsing down Regent street in the pouring rain. I did, however, get a Karl Lagerfeld inspired mock newspaper in his store which made things a little easier.
Listening to: Best I Ever Had - Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment